Sunday, July 1, 2007

Beautiful - Joydrop


In the mid to late 90s, MTV still played music videos...sort of. The Real World and Spring Break parties were already beginning to take precedence, but videos were still part of the expected airtime. Of course, a lot of what you'd see by day was crap, but some gems could still be uncovered. And on Sunday nights at midnight, a two hour mine awaited...120 Minutes. Often hosted by obscure music fact guru, Matt Pinfield, the block featured videos from up and coming and classic artists that weren't quite mainstream, but many soon would be.

120 Minutes probably exposed me to more of the music I still love to this day than any other source. I saw my first Sarah McLachlan video there, Coldplay, Travis, Bif Naked, Poe, Garbage, Foo Fighters...it was the only place one could see Oasis vids.

One night in 1999, this particular song was debuted. A dark video with the lead singer, Tara Slone, kicking around town and singing about what she'd do if she was "beautiful like you." Where the vid takes a nice turn is when it hits the chorus:

But I'm not beautiful like you
I'm beautiful like me


Everything turns upside-down and Ms. Slone is now a gothic princess, rocking out with the band. I loved it and the song and sought out the CD immediately. They only released one more disc, 2001's Viberate, before breaking up. Tara was a contestant on Rock Star: INXS and recently released a solo album in Canada that I need to find.

22/365

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I discovered this song on what I believe was my first Birthday Mix from you. I love it! Have it in my car right now, actually. :)

July 2, 2007 at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home