Saturday, May 19, 2007

Comfortably Numb -- Pink Floyd


Midway through the second disc of Pink Floyd's epic concept piece, The Wall, the story of a fame-addled rock star hits it's apex as our "hero" presumably overdoses (the film would seem to support this theory) and reaches something of a happy place within himself. Doctors try to revive him for a big show that evening...because, as other tracks will tell, the show must go on.

Full of great harmony and smooth vocals, most will find this the most accessible track on The Wall, and certainly one of the best. The early echo-y aspect builds to the final minute and a half or so with one of my favorite guitar solos from the band.

There isn't much more to say about this one...just a fine song from a legendary band. I truly wish I'd had the chance to see them in concert in the 70s. I don't think anyone has really come close to what they did since.

12/365

2 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

My Pink Floyd–loving husband actually checked out on them with this album. Being musically retarded, I kind of discovered them after they released the title single. This is a good song and definitely a phrase we 70s teenagers used.

May 22, 2007 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Otter said...

I was always attracted to the boys that thought this LP was cool. It showed a certain musicial maturity that I was looking for in a boyfriend.

May 23, 2007 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home