Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Preaching the End of the World - Chris Cornell


As I mentioned in my earlier post on Audioslave, I'm a big fan of Chris Cornell's career. After the dissolution of Soundgarden (and really, the 90's grunge scene overall), Cornell released a solo album in '99...a chance to prove his musicianship outside of grinding guitars and all that screaming.


I'm not sure how successful the album was...he never did another on his own...but it's a great one. Filled with songs of remorse and love, Cornell's voice (vocally and expressively) is about as post-grunge as it gets.


It's hard to pick a favorite tune, but "Preaching the End of the World" always stood out for me.


I'm 24 and I've got everything to live for
But I know now that it wasn't meant to be

It's just the end of the world
You'll need a friend in the world
Cuz you can't hide

I'm seeking a friend for the end of the world

My favorite memory of this album is when it was played in its entirety before the Brotherly Love Tour (Oasis/Black Crowes/Spacehog) in Indianapolis. Lame concert and a very long night (that's a whole different story), but sitting on the lawn singing with Cornell was grand.

8/365

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home