Sunday, April 8, 2007

Sinkhole -- Drive By Truckers

I'm a pretty big fan of just going to random concerts from artists I'm unfamiliar with, so when an old friend asked me to attend a concert at indie venue The Southgate House to see a band called Drive By Truckers, I gave it a shrug and went.

The Truckers are proud Southern rockers who make strong references to their influences, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Neil Young and the entire state of Alabama. Their music is solid and enjoyable if you're in the right mood, but I highly recommend their concerts. They excel at the extended jam. Songs that top out at three and a half to four minutes on their CD can go ten-plus when they're on stage. After taking the stage around 9:00 that night, they were still going strong at 1:00 AM after some of my friends couldn't take it and we all left. They might well have continued until the last person left or passed out (probably that chubby red-haired guy).

I was most impressed by the skill of the cutish little blonde slinging a low bass guitar when "Sinkhole" fired up. The throbbing line the bass contributes throughout the song is what made it their most distinguishable tune that night and is still my favorite on their "Decoration Day" CD. As they drew this one out as well, I fell briefly in love with this gal and her guitar...the sign that you're truly enjoying a concert if there ever is one.

3/365

1 Comments:

Blogger Cedar Waxwing said...

My husband went to see the Drive By Truckers at the 930 Club with some friends of his (they know the owner). He didn't like them enough to buy an album, but didn't hate them either. I've never heard their music though.

Welcome to the song blog.

April 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home