Thursday, March 29, 2007

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction -- The Rolling Stones



I don't feel like I really "discovered" music until I was a teenager in the 90s, but I did get some exposure to it in my youth. Being a mostly studious (re: nerdy) lad in the 80s, I didn't gain the nostalgic appreciation of that era's pop scene. Most of the music I heard was what my mom listened to. She was a fan of oldies and ordered those cheesy record (as in vinyl) collections you'd see on TV.

I had one of those little plastic Fisher Price record players that was mostly used for those read along record books featuring Disney movies or Star Wars cartoon stories in easy doses. My mom dug up some old .45 singles one day and gave them to me. "Satisfaction" was one. I'm not sure if I even knew who The Rolling Stones were, but if you'd asked me back then if I was a Beatles or Stones fan, I'd go with the latter just because of this tune.

It's not their best song, but it has a great guitar hook that drives in from the beginning. It just sounds old, but you know it doesn't quite belong in the time it was recorded either. It's edgy and strutting and when Mick spits out the title, followed by "I can't get no...girly action" even a pre-teen knows he's craving something a little sweeter than a Snickers.
1/365

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...the infamous "poopy pants" video :-)

March 29, 2007 at 11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats why this song is great...it sounds like a could be pop or punk...the Beatles or the Sex Pistols...

I had one of those little record players too! And you could close the lid on it and carry it around like a little suitcase...good times...

March 30, 2007 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

Hey, welcome to the project! Glad to see you here. Love this post. I listened to this song quite a bit in my early teens, when it was already oldies. Great band.

Love the Fisher-Price imagery.

March 31, 2007 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Sabine said...

Welcome to the music blog thing!

March 31, 2007 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Deloney said...

I clicked on the pic to enlarge. It's an e.p. (extended play). I wish they'd been around in North America back in the day. Four songs on a 7" record would have been just right (for penniless kids).

April 1, 2007 at 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Beatles are the most overated band on the face of the planet. Stones Rule!!!!

April 2, 2007 at 5:40 AM  
Blogger Deloney said...

The Beatles? They're nothing compared to, umm, the Arctic Monkeys.

April 6, 2007 at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home