Friday, March 30, 2007

Cochise -- Audioslave


I've pretty much been a fan of Chris Cornell's entire career. Soundgarden wasn't the best band to come out of the Seattle grunge movement, but they were solid. Temple of the Dog, Cornell's side project with other grunge-masters was an excellent tribute to a fallen comrade. When Soundgarden broke up in the late 90's, Cornell produced a solo album that didn't get much attention, but I found amazing. I think it's always been his voice. He has a perfect rock star voice...gravelly and deep...able to reach places most of us would end up in a coughing fit if we tried.

On the other side, Rage Against the Machine was never one of my favorite bands, but I always dug their sound, especially Tom Morello's warbling guitar work. When Zack de la Rocha left, the rest of the band joined with Cornell to make a new entity, Audioslave. I heard the first single when I saw the video by Mark Romanek, which appropriately beckoned in the opening frame, PLAY LOUD.

Opening with a building of chopper sounds, drums and light guitar, it crashes into the riff as Morello takes over. The song has a swaying, ground-level quality to it. When Cornell joins in, you know you have the makings of a classic rock tune. I can't say that the rest of Audioslave's catalog is as impressive, but this is a fine track in its own right.

On a great side note, when I made my first mix CD, Martian War Songs, this was the lead track.
2/365

1 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

I have a friend who was once in love with a guy by this name (CC), so it's always strange for me to see it in the music context. Nice voice.

March 31, 2007 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home