Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice



I'm not sure exactly where I heard this song first. Around roughly the same time it was popping up often on Launchcast, I caught the video late one night on VH1 and it was featured on the soundtrack of Closer, the dark film about twisted relationships starring Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Jude Law and Julia Roberts.

It's an incredibly beautiful, but haunting, track of lost love...the kind that leaves both parties aching with want and need, uncertain why it ended, but aware that it will never return. Rice pines over and over...

I can't take my eyes off of you
Before the last refrain, the object of his passion chimes in to assure him that she doesn't hate him and that maybe she's not ready to let go either. In the end, though, Rice acknowledges, in the softest, quietest whisper...
I can't take my mind off of you...
'Til I find somebody new
The music throughout is a subtle blend of guitars and strings, swelling briefly when the woman sings, but most of this track is carried on Rice's voice. If you've never heard this song, I beg you to listen to it. I don't get tears in my eyes the way I used to, but it's still very powerful to me.
7/365

3 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

It's a great song. And while I was watching the movie, I didn't expect it [the film] to stay with me the way it did. I liked it way more than I expected to.

Nice post.

April 18, 2007 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Otter said...

Damien Rice is excellent.

April 23, 2007 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger Cedar Waxwing said...

Damien Rice is coming to DC soon. I "discovered" him via Pandora, and quite like his music. Debating if I should go see him in concert or not.

April 27, 2007 at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home