Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thriller - Michael Jackson


I don't care what you think of Michael Jackson now. In the 80s, everyone was a fan and he was putting out some of the greatest music of our generation. I confess I'm not much of an apologist for that era, but I still feel a little dance in my step when I hear Jacko getting his high-pitched groove on.

The title track from what is still the biggest selling album of all time is a "scary story" that's a cool tune on its own, featuring "rap" breaks from Vincent Price and spooky synthesizers, but its claim to fame will always be the epic music video from director John Landis. I don't know if I saw it when it first aired (MTV wasn't really a part of my youth until the early 90s), but I remember it topping "best of" lists for years.

I think it's the zombie dance I love the most. I saw a wedding video recently where the party had actually choreagraphed the whole thing with the groom playing Michael's leading role. Brilliant.

15/365

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED Michael Jackson when I was a kid. I had a pink purse with his picture on it and a silver glove that I got at a hardware store with my Dad. It must have been some sort of work glove...but I thought it was cool and had to have it. LOL.

I still love "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" and "Billie Jean." And I SUPER loved the Alien Aunt Farm cover of "Smooth Criminal" with all the Michael Jackson-isms in the video.

June 8, 2007 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

I loved Michael Jackson when I was a kid, and that was when he was in the Jackson 5.

I also think his stuff from the 80s is fantastic.

I seem to remember this video airing on primetime during some major event, but I can't quite recall. I think I saw it then, though (I should check this out on Wikipedia or something...)

June 8, 2007 at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home