Thursday, June 21, 2007

So Cold - Breaking Benjamin


I find myself getting back into hard rock again...in a way I haven't been since my early 20s, when I was angry and depressed. Am I angry and depressed now? I don't think so.

Perhaps it's because hard rock is in the mainstream again and it's good. Since grunge died in the mid-90s and bubblegum pop, then rap, then rap-rock, took over it's been hard to find solid bands pounding on the drums, wailing on guitars and throbbing bass with deep-voiced lead singers.

Breaking Benjamin is one such band. I mostly ignored them when they started. I wasn't really into hard rock at the time, either, but I did see them in concert with Three Days Grace, Seether and Evanescence. I remember this song sticking out for me. A friend put it on a mix CD a few years later and eventually loaned me all of their albums to copy.

This is still my favorite tune from them. It builds slowly, rocks out, goes a little soft again...etc... That's pretty much the model of good hard rock. My favorite part comes after the guitar solo and another chorus. Everything goes quiet but the guitar and the singer saying "It's all right." The drums kick in and he repeats the mantra all the way to the conclusion.

By this point, I'm rocking out, especially if I'm in my car. That's rock 'n' roll...making solo drivers into rock stars.

18/365

2 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

Great last line.

I have a theory about hard rock/metal. There's something about the soundwaves that hits something in the brain that increases serotonin or something. I have nothing to back that up, other than a physical sense in my head that feels like treatment when I listen to it. This has led me to believe that a lot of people who listen to hard rock all the time are self-medicating.

I definitely need a hit every now and again.

June 22, 2007 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Bridgett said...

My ex certainly self medicated with loud hard rock music. Definitely sullen and depressed...

June 22, 2007 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home