Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I Learned That From You - Sara Evans



I'm not a fan of country music. Never have been...likely never will be. That doesn't mean I think it's a useless form of music...no music is useless...some of it just makes sense to me less than others. When country took off in the mid to late 90s, I was too busy burying myself in the wonders of alt-rock. My Senior theme song was a cheesy ballad called "The Bad Goodbye."

Perhaps not surprisingly, all the country I've come across that I've enjoyed has been brought to me by a woman. (I mean that in the sense that I was introduced to it by a woman...but most of what I like is by women, as well.)

A couple years ago, I had what is still the best relationship of my life to date. I loved this woman hard and our relationship was one of the most emotionally intense I've felt. In the grand scheme, it was brief, but both of our lives were changed because of it. On our first date, I presented her with a mix CD and several more followed (she still has the record for most personal mixes from me). As with many of my relationships, music became an emotional touchstone...a way for us to say the things we felt in our hearts. We had a hard time breaking up...so hard that after doing so, we continued to see each other for nearly a month more. The morning after the last night we would spend together, she gave me the first and only mix she'd create. Much of it was music I'd given her and showed her how to copy to her computer and create such mixes, but some was from her own collection and all of it meant something in the context of our time together.

It was the perfect mix. It is our entire relationship summed up in just over an hour of song and lyric. Included were two songs from Sara Evans, this and "Why Should I Care." We'd listened to her together once, but I hadn't paid much attention to her until I heard these songs.

I didn't know much about love...
I learned that from you.

To this day...a few months from marrying the man she knows is "the one," she still credits me with helping her understand and believe in love. It's a weird feeling, but I'm taking it as a compliment. I learned so much from her as well...

20/365

1 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Bunting said...

Really great post.

Take it as a compliment. There was one of those in my life, too.

June 29, 2007 at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home